Wednesday, May 16, 2012

42 and beyond Music




I realize that it has been a while since I last wrote anything on the blog. But never mind. Im sure most of you don't follow any particular thread here on the web anyway, so what do you care?


So what to write about after hitting this humongous dry spot? Music ofc.

Thats the one thing that all men and women around the world can agree upon: that music, in one form or another, is a part of their lives, either to a greater or a lesser extent.


I am one of those people who is regularly hit by really vivid day-dreams. The other day, while riding the bus, I started to think about what it would be like traveling back in time to the 18th century and giving someone there an example of todays western music.
The ultimate social experience I imagine.
My first thought would be that the people of that time would react with disgust, since music is heavily related to culture, language, social stigma, etc. To them, most of our music would probably sound like gibberish, trash or just random sound escaping from some sort of imagined animals, because they would have no knowledge of electric guitars, drums (like the ones we have now) key-boards, programs, etc....
So what would they have thought? Or more interestingly; what would they have heard?
Think about it. The people of the 18th century had simple string instruments, drums (bongo, tambourines, etc.), piano, vocals, and maybe a flute? They could never imagine using rhythm like we do today... or even using vocals as a main factor.
I imagine me standing in front of a small group of puffed-up victorian-time english people, holding up my iPhone and playing DFRNT. I imagine they standing wide-eyed and gasping as my magic glass plate expels sound. And then they all shriek and panic because the sound doesn't make sense to them.
From there the day-dream goes downward, either ending in me finding some way to travel back to our time, or just ending my days in some victorian jail somewhere, charged with witchcraft or something.


Anywhoo. Hope everyone out there on the plane of Zero.1 are all right! Im sorry if you find spelling errors in the text. Im not using my own computer and lack both spell-check and a keyboard I like.

B

No comments: