Friday, January 28, 2011

Perspectives, Japan, Development, Day-Dreaming = People?

As a student of human geography I read a lot about development theory. While I read I usually drift of on a thought somewhere. Following the thought it becomes more and more complex so I begin to day-dream. The day-dream becomes so interesting that I simply have to finish it. It may take hours or just minutes, but in either case I just sit there, staring at the textbook in front of me, thinking about something far, far away.
They all begin with a paradox, or a problem, that becomes stories over time, as I explore them. Most of them are forgotten after I reach the end of the dream, but some stick with me for a while. Those are the ones I write down, because I know that they are products of my imagination as well as my creativity, that someday might become something that I can share with others.


Often times the thoughts are in some manner related to what I`m reading. Such as; "The Japanese state is largely responsible for the development of the Japanese economy, because of its early protectionism of its infant industries." ... leads me to think of Japan and what its like to live with so many people around you at any given moment... Or what its like to live in the Japanese culture... which makes me think of the Shogunate, and what a shock the first Europeans got when they were confronted with seppuku.

The line of thought is usually never ending, and might lead anywhere, though it has a tendency to lead back to fundamental philosophical questions. Such as; If there are alternate universes, like string theory suggests, and I am dead in one of them, could I take over for myself in that universe, and would it make me an impostor? If yes; Am I taking my own place, or someone else's? Does that make me another person within myself or two persons in separate places? Is it then me I`m taking over for? hum...


That's not a fundamental philosophical question, though an interesting one. Yet, what is more interesting is our capacity to think in abstract ways. Humanity is a race that is both practically and abstractly oriented, which in my opinion is what makes us able to adapt to any given environment with such vigor and success... like having tons of people around one self at any given moment makes us develop personal spaces within our minds, where we are alone, where we have privacy.
We are a truly fascinating race, which is why I have chosen to study ... us... first practically, then later, if I`m still interested enough; abstractly.

If you have the basic knowledge needed to explore the internet, try checking out some of the forums that are spread around. The internet is becoming a infinitely large pool of understanding we can use to study human behavior in new ways. The way we talk here is different. The way we refer to others here is different. The way we share information and ideas is a virtue and not a vice. The largest protests online is about TV- series, and not about politics. We organize in a different manner here, and more efficiently than anywhere else, unbound to place and time.... and people are able to form bonds and friendships without ever seeing each other.
What it proves is that humans are able to create culture and society without physical boundaries. That the only tool needed to develop new social rules and structure, is a way to communicate.


People = Communication = Innovation = Aphabeth = Books = Academia = Innovation = Internet = People?


hmm. The day-dreaming seldom has something to do with practical issues, like whatever the hell I´m reading... Which is a shame because I would realy like to remember it, and eventually stop reading the same sentence 67 times...

No comments: