Monday, February 7, 2011

Appeal for getting through

After lots of speculation and discussion with my alter ego; too-much-information-man, I have reached the conclusion that spotify increases the life quality of anyone using, it with 3 points.
When using the spectrum of 1-10 where 1 is: very bad, and 10 is GOD-LIKE, I will venture forth and say that spotify will increase your scale with 3, no matter where you put yourself in the ranking.
In other words... its pretty awesome.
It just shows what the future will look like. Innovation everyone! The music business has understood that for it to survive it has to go online.
And I´m not talking i-Tunes or Pandora. Spotify (and most likely other programs similar to it) has taken it a step further.



For those of you who do not know what it is I´ll explain as shortly as I can.
Its a music program that you download, where all (almost all... The Beatles and a few other artists are in legal disputes at the moment so what you find instead are tribute bands at the moment) artists, bands and songs are available at any time through streaming, only that you get them instantly and are able to personalize everything around them, through making lists and sharing them with your face-friends.
It makes it both easy to share music with others and makes it easyer finding new artists that are similar to those you already like.

There are, however, a few snags that I find irritating. One: in order to get better quality on the tracs than i-Tunes and pandora, you have to pay a monthly fee. The fee increases in regards to quality and mobility (there is a spotify app, etc)... Most people don´t bother with paying, but they get (in addition to the poorer quality) commercials every 20-30 min or so.
I´m one of the suckers who pays the lowest possible price in order to get a little better quality and be rid of the commercials, and I´m eagerly awaiting the day when it will be free.
Which leads me over to what I wanted to talk about.

The music bussiness has to adapt or go under. Several music stores has already stopped selling CD´s, or are downsizing their repartuar because they understand that by upping their sales they have to go online.
People are downloading anyway. It bodes bad for the music regime in America. The artists themselves are adapting as it seems. Probably not all, but the new ones are. They are starting publishing themselves, through youtube or other medias that are free and spread the word quicker than any record-company ever would.

So here is my take on it:
The music business is loosing money. The artists are making money (through online purchases and tours). The programs that are delivering music online delivers mostly bad quality, but they are getting better, and they are earning money on it... legaly.
America does not allow spotify or other programs similar to it because it goes against maybe 1000 of their 2 million copyright laws.
So if you are unlucky enough to find yourself in the US, you probably won´t get spotify (they have closed the servers there... I tried... you have to use a proxy and then find a friend in Europe who can log onto your account for you ever 14th day)
Here are the countries where spotify work so far!

Anyway. I hope this wasnt to much of a hype of the program. I did this out of my own interest in it... since I´ve used something between 50 and 100 hours of my life on it.
Right now I´m listening to Bugge Wesseltoft and enjoying life. Hope you are too! - Enjoying life that is.

---------
Removed adsense after seeing a Church of Scientology add here. Damn, Google! Don´t be greedy!

No comments: