Monday, February 21, 2011

Zelda

For those of you out there who are members of the desert-generation, and therefore found yourself fortunate enough to be blessed with a NS64 as a 12 year old, can maybe remember a couple of games that stuck to your memory from this green meadow of your life.
One of these games for me was Zelda... or rather the Ocarina of Time.
Hello. We are the same person.

I´m not talking about the whole game series though. Only the two games developed to Nintendo 64: Ocarina of time and Majoras Mask.

Simple game description:
Ocarina of Time was the greatest game of its kind in its glory days. Game play vise its a brilliant combination between sandbox and story mode gaming. It has puzzles, riddles, quests, alternate story lines which borders on the insane and focuses it all down into a fantastic tale. It challenges your control skills as well as your IQ, as much of the game is located in "temples" where you have to solve a series of obstacles in order to get through. 
As all good stories begin, this also has a princess... who naturally is named Zelda. Your character is a kid called Link (or Dick, or Bjollfrid, or whatever you want him to be called) and its your job to save her.
I realize now that my description of the game does it no justice, so mu suggestion to you is for you to try it out yourself. There are plenty of NS64 simulators for PC, though I´ve yet to find one usable for mac. 
My main focus ever since I discovered Baldurs Gate and Zelda has been story though. And this game has it all.
Om nom nom nom
 
When it comes to the other games:
I´m not saying the previous games are bad, its just that they were to... old, when I started playing. Its been years since I played now, but I still haven't found a game that tops the NS series.
The newer games are brilliantly random on the awesome-scale though. For those of you who know what I´m talking about, I´m certain you would agree when I say that Wind Walker was boorish compared to its predecessors. And I´ve quickly played through the Twilight Princess but that was even worse... without going into too much detail.
It may be simply because its the same game as the two pioneers... and I hate reruns.
Lets face it. Thats Nintendo´s greatest flaw. They lack imagination so they just run the same old games over and over. They have done it to Mario and they´ve done it to Zelda. The new releases are just the old games with slightly altered story lines and new Navi-rippoff´s. God... the new Zelda game coming out to DS is Link with trains. nuff said.

Majoras Mask
I have a moon and I´m not afraid to use it.
Is as Ocarina of Time, equally awesome. It plays on the same lines as the first but lacked the boring parts of the later reruns. In this game though you get to play with time and the other races a lot more, as every mask you pick up have special powers which turns you into other people with certain special attributes. This makes the riddles of the games both harder and more exiting as you have to swap between the different races in quick succession in order to solve them.
The story is slightly different from the other games, as this drops out the "save the princess or die"-bit totally. Zelda herself isn't part of the game... and that´s awesome.

So. Lets have a minute silence as we will never see their like again. At least not from Nintendo.
----------

What would you do if you met this guy in the woods?
Next post pending when I feel like it. Likely to be about the Middle East.

No comments: